Template for multiple sites

Hello Admins,

If I am planning to deploy multiple Gibbon installs that will share some common config settings, for example:

• Parent cannot browse the library
  • Default loan length for a library item is 21 days
  • string replacements

What would be the best way to customize the first site and then export those settings and then merge them to the rest of the sites?
In a way, I am trying to find a way of creating a Gibbon site template.

Maybe my title “template for multiple sites” is not the most appropriate. I would likely use “How to migrate preferences to another Gibbon installation”.

Hi achief, do you have access to your database? You could export the gibbonPermission table and import it into another database, assuming you had the same modules installed and same roles in both systems. You could likely do the same with the gibbonString table.

Another slightly more advanced way to do this could be to install a copy of Gibbon, set all the settings you want, then export the database. Then, for each of your schools, rather than installing from the interface, you could add all the Gibbon files and import that copy of the database. After importing, you’d need to go into the gibbonSetting table and edit the basePath and baseURL to make sure they match the server paths of the new install. You’d also likely need to edit the config.php for each school to enter your database details, and change a few characters in the guid to make sure it’s unique for each one.

Hi @ross. Yes, I do have access to the database.

I like both options, it is just that I would need to learn which DB table does what. Also, I would have to identify which tables/fields represent the site’s identity, so I always make sure to change those values too.

I like option number more as it would allow me to have that “template” site that i could customize over time and use as my current "preferences “template”.

Sounds like a plan. The most important fields to change after install would be the basePath and baseURL, after that you could login to the installation and set the school name in System Settings and other details via the interface.

Sounds like a plan. The most important fields to change after install would be the basePath and baseURL, after that you could login to the installation and set the school name in System Settings and other details via the interface.

This makes the process much easier. Thanks for this tip.