Language Translation not Working

Hello,

We installed Spanish as an additional language in Gibbon. However, when I users change their languages preferences to Spanish, Gibbon does not change language.

I saw an article regarding change the ‘locale’. However, the instructional video is not working.

Thanks!

Hi @brendenpicard ,

Can you see the choice of languages ​​(English and Spanish) on the login page using the options link?

Can you see that both languages ​​are installed?

Sylvain
Gibbon : v25.0.01, PHP v8.1.2, MySQL v8.0.35, Ubuntu 22.04.3

Yes, we can see both languages installed and available on the login page.

The problem is not the translate, the problem is that the lines of code in English are directly within the PHP code of the system, I detected that a while ago that I wanted to install it, I think we should work on making a locale for the complete code, if that is the case. we want to use it in HISPANOAMERICA

Not all lines of text are changed in English, only those of the application, menus, messages, etc., etc. The problem is that the English language is integrated into the PHP code of the application

Hi @Fcabada,

The labels are actually in English in the PHP programming, but a translation mechanism is in place to translate the labels when using the application (gibbon.mo file).

I am currently testing Gibbon in French and 99% of the labels displayed are in French.

Is it possible to post an image of a gibbon screen with a partial translation (english/spanish) so that I can validate if I have the same problem in French?

THANKS !

Sylvain
Gibbon : v25.0.01, PHP v8.1.2, MySQL v8.0.35, Ubuntu 22.04.3

I also have the translation set, but it still will not translate to Spanish. It remains in English.

Hi @brendenpicard,

I’m currently testing Gibbon in French under Ubuntu in French (I don’t know if this is the combination that works well for me).

I read that PHP-gettext is used to manage translation files and that the language of the host operating system can have impacts.

Here is a link to check if PHP-gettext is installed:

Here is a link for the installation procedure I used for Ubuntu:

https://docs.gibbonedu.org/administrators/getting-started/installing-gibbon/install-ubuntu-debian/

Here is a link from Gibbon to the issues with translations:

https://docs.gibbonedu.org/administrators/misc/internationalisation/

Can you post the type of operating system you are using and the language?

THANKS !

Sylvain
Gibbon : v25.0.01 (French), PHP v8.1.2, MySQL v8.0.35, Ubuntu 22.04.3 (French)

Thanks @smarcil for sharing your process and solutions! Glad to hear the translations are working well on your system.

@brendenpicard @Fcabada Be sure to check that the locale is installed on your server. There are extra steps to follow for Windows servers, it’s unfortunate to see that the community-created video is no longer available :slightly_frowning_face: however the steps are luckily still there, and here’s a link to the original thread, hope it helps: Translate Gibbon into another language in a Windows environment