Gradebook Filter by term results in error

Hi! I am new to gibbon and was able to setup the website up to mark books. I do have the general understanding of using the mark book based from my readings here in the forum and various other sources like the docu. I am not sure if its my setting or if its really about the app.
Gibbon Version: v25.0.01
Firstly here’s my mark book settings:
All the features are: YES (except for modified assessment)
Markbook type has 3 entries: A,B,C
Group columns by term: YES
All warnings are YES.

Now among my courses i made a 3 columns for A,B, and one for C. I haven’t set any weightings. All the columns A-1,A-2,A-3 ; B-1,B-2,B-3 and C-1 are all in the same term Q1 (i have 4 terms shortnamed Q1 to Q4). I set the required field per column and my default scale is percentage (%). I also placed a value in Attainment Total Mark: 20 (for all columns for testing) and Attainment Weighting to 1.00. All the columns are ok and they display properly, I am trying to enter some scores to test each column. Here’s my where my problem come in, when I filter the display using the Term: Q1 Show: All Columns Class: ClassName
i received this error:

OH NO!

Something has gone wrong: the Gibbons have escaped!

An error has occurred. This could mean a number of different things, but generally indicates that you have a misspelt address, or are trying to access a page that you are not permitted to access. If you cannot solve this problem by retyping the address, or through other means, please contact your system administrator.

This error then persist unless i turn off the Group columns by term. I tested it in all of my class with same error message, along with deleting the columns and re entering them the error would still show.

I made sure that each columns fall within the term date range i set in my term management as what i have read from here: Markbook question regarding $markbook->filterByTerm()

Please let me now if there’s something wrong in what i am doing and how do i fix this.
Thank you all in advance.

Hi @phyxe This certainly shouldn’t be happening, it sounds like a PHP fatal error is occurring. After triggering the “Oh no” message, can you check your PHP error log to see the details of the error and share them here? Also, let us know which version of PHP you’re running. Gibbon currently supports up to PHP 8.1, and PHP 8 has been adding more and more strict type checking errors, so it’s possible this could be related to the issue if you’re using PHP 8.2+. In which case, I’d be keen to fix the error before the next version of Gibbon, to help improve the forwards compatibility.

Hi! Thank you for responding. I am not that familiar with my webhosting services so currently I am waiting for them to direct me on the php log that you are mentioning. However I was able to find the error_log on my gibbon installation folder and this is currently its content after having the error:

[17-Oct-2023 20:09:35 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:09:43 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:09:51 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:09:54 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:09:59 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:10:48 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:11:29 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:11:40 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:11:54 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:12:03 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:12:12 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:12:21 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:12:29 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:12:36 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:12:42 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:12:49 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:16:17 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:17:12 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:17:28 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:19:30 Asia/Manila] Warning: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1052 Column ‘name’ in where clause is ambiguous in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/src/Database/Connection.php on line 195
[17-Oct-2023 20:19:30 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: Error - PDO object is uninitialized in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/src/Database/Result.php on line 49
[17-Oct-2023 20:26:03 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:26:49 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:38:49 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 20:51:41 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 21:05:20 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[17-Oct-2023 21:55:38 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 09:29:45 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 09:29:50 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:07:21 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:07:58 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:09:22 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:09:25 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:09:48 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:13:23 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:13:31 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:14:03 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:14:07 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:14:21 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:19:15 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:24:02 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 962
[18-Oct-2023 12:24:56 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - round(): Argument #1 ($num) must be of type int|float, string given in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 1017
[18-Oct-2023 12:48:19 Asia/Manila] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - round(): Argument #1 ($num) must be of type int|float, string given in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/gibbon.dev/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 1017

I am using php v 8.0
i hope that this helps

Hi folks,

I believe this is a duplicate of the following discussion:

Kind regards,
Roman

Hi,

I don’t think this post and the reference post are referring to the same error.

I installed the corrected file (markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php) in the reference post to correct a problem, but the problem when changing the filter on the term persists.

I created a markbook with 2 assignments and 1 exam in term 1, 1 exam in term 2 and 1 exam in term 3.

When I check the Overall Grades for term 1, everything works fine.

When I change the filter to see the Overall Grades for term 2, Gibbon crashes with the PHP error below:

[Wed Nov 08 18:58:10.208510 2023] [php:notice] [pid 4284] [client 127.0.0.1:36402] Uncaught Exception: TypeError - Unsupported operand types: null + string in /var/www/gibbon.local/modules/Markbook/markbook_view_allClassesAllData.php on line 939, referer: http://localhost/index.php?q=/modules/Markbook/markbook_view.php&gibbonCourseClassID=00000002

I don’t know if this information can help correct the problem.

Sylvain
Gibbon : v25.0.01, PHP v8.1.2, MySQL v8.0.35, Ubuntu 22.04.3

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve created a fix, seen below, which should address the null + string error. In the past, PHP allowed much more flexible type casting when using variables, and with the move to strict type checking, we’re seeing more type-related errors. We try to catch them through our full system test each release, but there’s a lot of functionality and code to check.