Free Learning Classes

Is it possible to get a copy of the courses found here to put on a different school site? Via IMporting

https://gibbon.ichk.edu.hk/index.php?q=/modules/Free%20Learning/units_browse.php

I know we would also be interested in those, and any others you might have, as well. Unlike most of the schools using Gibbon, we are a United States non-profit literacy council that teaches adults. Some students never learned to read, others dropped out of public schools and are now wanting to get a High School Equivalency Diploma (either GED or HiSET). My main role is coordinator of the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) program. I do most of the IT (information technology), also. I would be extremely interested in anything beneficial to adult students in English, Spanish, or Chinese.
– Glenn

Hi @rprice1978 and @GlennS the answer is a resounding “Yes”: the content is almost all under a Creative Commons license, and we are happy to share it here in SQL format for easy import. The only issue is that I’ve run out of time today. I’ll do my best to get this to you tomorrow, or some time on Monday.

In the meantime, we’ve been discussing a global repository of units, which anyone would be able to download from, in order to quickly build up maps. Its a pipe dream at the moment, but we are hopeful it will happen one day.

Cheers!

Ross

Hi @rprice1978 and @GlennS, as promised, please find attached here the SQL needed to insert the ICHK Secondary ICT map into your Free Learning modules. You’ll need to adjust the Department and Difficulty values, as ours will differ from yours. Have fun!

Ross

Edit: attachment removed, amended and reattached to post lower down the thread.

A zillion thanks to you! We haven’t yet gotten into creating any of these, and I want to show our staff the results. If we create some that are good enough others might want them, how is the best way and where is the best place to share them? THANKS FOR PIONEERING FREE LEARNING!

Hi Glenn, you are most welcome. Let us know how it goes using the units. At the moment we don’t have a great place to share units, but I guess we could use Github. Is that a platform you’ve used before. @ross can you think of a better short-term solution? Thanks!

It worked very well and looks great after installation. However, my name appears as the author of most of the courses, but not all. I think it pulled in a students name for at least one that didn’t list me. I presume it pulls the author’s name by gibbonPersonID from the gibbonPerson table. What must I do?

Hi Glenn, ah yes, I forgot to clean this up, sorry. Not shared these in a while. You can either connect to your database using a mysql client, and run the following query:

UPDATE freeLearningUnitAuthor SET gibbonPersonID=NULL;

Or you can remove all records and then use the import file attached.

Thanks. I’ll do the quick mysql client method. I really hope some others can produce some Free Learning modules, and I hope to eventually create some, as well. How and where to share them will be key. THANKS again!

Hi @rprice1978 and @GlennS, as promised, please find attached here the SQL needed to insert the ICHK Secondary ICT map into your Free Learning modules. You'll need to adjust the Department and Difficulty values, as ours will differ from yours. Have fun!

Ross

Edit: attachment removed, amended and reattached to post lower down the thread.

Hi Ross,

Where do we upload the attachment?

OK got it ! I simply uploaded on the gibbon MySql database. And thanks a lot for these. (Now watching you speak about Free Learning :smile: )

I hope that the units and I did not disappointed!

No, I’m definitely NOT disappointed. They are helpful. Thanks, again. (And by the way, let me know if you have any more. The quality is excellent, and it must have taken a long while to create. I’m still working on getting some to share in return.)

Hi Glenn, that is great to hear : ) We are slowly starting to plan out the seeds of a global repository, through which any school could share, download and remix units. This is probably 12-months away from fruition, but it is in the pipeline. I believe this will make Free Learning much more appealing, as it will reduce the time to put together a good map. You are correct: high quality units do take some time to construct…but once you build them they are yours forever (with some minor maintenance ; ). Ross.

@GlennS I’m not sure if you’ve seen the new purple notice at the top of the forum, but we as looking for schools using Free Learning to share their experiences for a book we are writing. Would you have any interest in this? Thanks, Ross.

Yes, I’ll email you offline. Thanks.

Hi Admin,
As a newbie, we will appreciate it if we can get a copy of the courses found on your free-learning site to put on our school site? Via Importing

https://gibbon.ichk.edu.hk/index.php?q=/modules/Free Learning/units_browse.php
kind regards.
Francis

just seeing this Ross. Just upload. Thanks alot

Hi Victoryland1997,

Ross has shared the units as an SQL file, check out the comment further up in this thread, then download the file, unzip it, and import into your database. This can be done easily with a MySQL tool such as PHPMyAdmin or SequelPro. Be sure to install the Free Learning module first too.

https://ask.gibbonedu.org/discussion/comment/6203/#Comment_6203

Hello!

For those who previously asked for the ICHK Secondary ICT Free Learning map, there is now an easier way to proceed. From Free Learning v5.11.00 (which needs Gibbon v21, coming on January 20th 2021, to run), @ross has added a brilliant unit import/export system, which includes all files used within selected units.

Please find linked below a collection of 94 interconnected units, in a ZIP file, which constitute our ICT map.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R5MWmTFTc5LR_vXEoJYQ2WpKd9JCMYWF/view?usp=sharing

These units used to be Mac-specific, but now include instructions for both macOS and ChromeOS

At some point in the future we will begin working on a more formal way to share such content.

Thanks!

Ross