v12 Messenger Issue

Excellent news! Off on holiday tomorrow, and did not want to leave you hanging. I will update the PHPMailer library to the same version for Gibbon v13.

Just to follow up (for anyone looking for answers in the future), it seems like PHPMailer 5.2.16 does not work on our production server (PHP 5.5.9) even though it runs locally on PHP 5.5.9 via MAMP. For this reason we will leave v13 using PHPMailer 5.1 for now, until we have time to investigate this and find a solution that works on all known systems. This will be after the holidays.

In the meantime, anyone encountering this issue can update PHPMailer in /lib to 5.2.16 to try and resolve the issue.

Warm greetings to you, my dear friends. I seem to be having the same problem since upgrading to v13.0.01. How do I go about changing the PHPMailer to 5.2.16? We use a host called GoDaddy.

I read this in the change log.

System: updated PHPMailer to v5.2.16, and switched to SMTP mailing (check that your server supports un-authenticated local SMTP relay, or set up SMTP in Third Party Settings)

From the discussions above:

1. Do i need to change the PHPMailer to 5.1 or 5.2.16? We are running v13.0.01 on PHP version 5.6.
  2. What is the benefit of setting up the SMTP in Third Party Settings. It currently is set to ‘No’

Hello Tayo : ) in most cases v5.2.16 should work for most people, but there might be some edge cases preventing it from working for you. What are the symptoms that you are getting that tell you it is not working?

The SMTP settings let you use someone else’s server, or your own more advanced SMTP settings, rather than just sending it out directly on localhost (which is all that was possible prior to v13). The advantage here is that someone else (like Google) might run a better SMTP server than you, and you wish to take advantage of it. This could solve the issue that you are dealing with. If you are sending out from, say Google-based email addresses (like using GSuite as many schools do), sending out via Gmail’s SMTP server might also give you protection in terms of false negative spam scores.

Hope this helps.

Ross

HELP!!!

Since upgrading to 13.0.01 (and/or updating the index_fastFinder_ajax.php file), I have had a problem with messenger.

When I select three individuals, I get this message:
Your request was completed successfully, but some or all messages could not be delivered.

The message does not get delivered.

When I select staff, parents or both (obviously more emails), I get this message:
Internal Server Error …Error 500

When I look in the error log, I see nothing.

General info:
PHP Version: 5.6.28
PHPMailer Version: 5.2.16

Tayo, are you currently using SMTP settings in Third Party Settings? If so, then the issue is with your external SMTP setting, otherwise it is with your local mail transfer agent settings. Let us know and we can offer more specific advise. Ross.

I am not using the SMTP setting in Third Party Settings.

What is my local mail transfer agent setting? Should I discuss this with this web hosting company?

Yes, discussing with the web host is a good way to go. Let them know that the application needs to send mail from PHP, via the local machine, without needed SMTP authentication. If they won’t do that, then ask them for the SMTP settings and put them into Third Party Settings.

Hmmm…Can confirm that the hosting set up is able to send mail from PHP via local machine without SMTP authentication.

I keep getting an error 500 or, when the recipients are few, “Your request was completed successfully, but some or all messages could not be delivered”

Tayo, please can you ask your host for a copy of your PHP error log, and then share it with us via support@gibbonedu.org so we can take a look at what is going on. Ross.