Upgrading from v 14.0.0 to 18.0.01

Hello

I’ve not updated in a while and ran into some issues upgrading from v14 to 18

Once I’ve successfully uploaded and replaced all the new files via FTP, I was no longer able to access my gibbon account to access the update menu
When I enter my credentials, it refreshes the page to the login page, but does not bring any error message regarding the login. If I try a wrong password, then it does inform me that the password is wrong - so I know that it does still accept my username and password.

the issue I have is that I cannot access the update page, or any page, as when I try to login - it will just bring the login screen back up.

My server was also running PHP v5.3 and I changed it to 7.3 - but it did not make a difference.

I have now attempted to roll back the changes and will try to update again tomorrow.

Here is some of the error_log:

These options need to match
in Unknown on line 0
[28-Sep-2019 23:35:13 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘memcached.so’ (tried: /usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/memcached.so (/usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/memcached.so: undefined symbol: zval_used_for_init), /usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/memcached.so.so (/usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/memcached.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)) in Unknown on line 0
[28-Sep-2019 23:35:13 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘geoip.so’ (tried: /usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/geoip.so (/usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/geoip.so: undefined symbol: zval_used_for_init), /usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/geoip.so.so (/usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/geoip.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)) in Unknown on line 0
[28-Sep-2019 23:35:13 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘imagick.so’ (tried: /usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/imagick.so (/usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/imagick.so: undefined symbol: spl_ce_Countable), /usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/imagick.so.so (/usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/imagick.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)) in Unknown on line 0
[28-Sep-2019 23:35:13 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: mysql: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with module API=20131226
PHP compiled with module API=20180731
in Unknown on line 0
[28-Sep-2019 23:35:13 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: gd: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with module API=20131226
PHP compiled with module API=20180731
in Unknown on line 0
[29-Sep-2019 00:35:13 Europe/London] PHP Warning: session_start(): Cannot find save handler ‘memcache’ - session startup failed in /var/sites/r/mydomain*.co.uk/public_html/gib1/src/Gibbon/Session.php on line 66

Anyone can shed some light, it would be highly appreciated

Best Regards

I’ve just seen this on another discussion:

It looks like the update has already been run, which is odd. To confirm this, can you please check the result of the final database update command in v18.0.00:

UPDATE gibbonAction SET name=‘Manage Custom Fields’ WHERE name=‘Manage User Custom Fields’ AND gibbonModuleID=(SELECT gibbonModuleID FROM gibbonModule WHERE name=‘User Admin’);end

If you look in table gibbonAction, do you see an action named Manage Custom Fields or one called Manage User Custom Fields.

If it is the latter, then the database update has run, and we just need to let the database know that it is indeed up to date.

I noticed that in the database - the field Manage User Custom Fields was present

Hi athar1, this means your database update has not yet been run. Have you been to Admin > System Admin > Update after updating your files? Thanks, Ross.

Hi Ross.

Once the files have been updated, I can’t get past the login screen - when I try to login it just refreshes the login screen - but doesn’t show any errors

Thanks

I have rolled back to v14.0 and will try to update again

Hi athar1, v14 to v18 is a big leap, so it is best to login and be at the Update screen first. Either that or try /update.php, which does not require logging in. Good luck!

Hi athar1,

Upgrading from PHP 5.3 to 7.3 in the middle of upgrading Gibbon from v14 to v18 may make it difficult to narrow down the cause of any errors. Gibbon v18 does require PHP 7+, so it may first help to upgrade your PHP, then test it using a phpinfo() page to see if everything is working. Then, from there if PHP looks good, backup your database and proceed with the Gibbon upgrade.

Well - I did upgrade the php first and then that caused the v14 to not load properly.
Anyway - I have decided to start a fresh installation (which has its own issues) - but thanks for your help.

Hi I am unable to login on my laptop but able to login from my mobile device. When I login from my laptop no error msg just seems like the screen has refused. Version 18.0 php 7.2

Hi paschal. If a login is working on one device and not the other, it may be a browser issue or javascript setting. Perhaps try a different browser on your laptop?

Thanks for the reply Sandra. All of a sudden it started working today.