Timetable newbie to do rotating 7 day cycle

Hello everyone, I am a newbie on the timetable. May I ask how will you be able to create a time table like this (7 day schedule with Monday to Friday)? I’m trying to recreate this time table from our paid SIS to Gibbon. Your help is extremely appreciated. Thanks.

Vincent,

Good question. Gibbon’s TT system is flexible, but a bit complex to start with. This help page should help, but I’ll give a specific answer here too. The first thing I notice is that whilst you have 7 days in your timetable, almost all of them follow the same timing, except Days 5 and 6, which seem to be shorter and long.

To get started, go to Admin > Timetable Admin in the main menu and Manage Columns in the module menu. Add the following columns. Columns are day/timing templates, that we then use repeatedly to build a timetable

• Normal Day
  • Short Day
  • Long Day
Edit each of these columns to add in the relevant time slots for the day (e.g. Period 1, Period 2, Break 1, etc).

Once your columns are ready, go to Manage Timetables and create a new timetable. Edit it, and create the following days, connecting the day to the column shown in brackets:

1. Day 1 (Normal Day)
  2. Day 2 (Normal Day)
  3. Day 3 (Normal Day)
  4. Day 4 (Normal Day)
  5. Day 5 (Long Day)
  6. Day 6 (Short Day)
  7. Day 7 (Normal Day)

Each day will now have the timings defined in the column it is associated with. You can now go into each of the time slot in each day and add the relevant classes (which you should predefine in Manage Courses & Classes).

The final step is to Tie Days To Dates, in which you say on which days your Day 1 falls throughout your year, and then the same for Day 2, etc.

There is a function to import classes, teachers and rooming once your structure is in place. In addition, check out @skuipers Data Admin module at https://gibbonedu.org/extend, which I believe does timetable imports too.

Hope this helps!

Ross

1 Like

Thank you Ross as your directions worked very well.

Cam
Thalun International School

Ross this is the BEST explanation of Time Table I could find in any of the posts. It’s been the most confusing thing of all !!! :s

Vincent,

Good question. Gibbon’s TT system is flexible, but a bit complex to start with. This help page should help, but I’ll give a specific answer here too. The first thing I notice is that whilst you have 7 days in your timetable, almost all of them follow the same timing, except Days 5 and 6, which seem to be shorter and long.

To get started, go to Admin > Timetable Admin in the main menu and Manage Columns in the module menu. Add the following columns. Columns are day/timing templates, that we then use repeatedly to build a timetable

• Normal Day
  • Short Day
  • Long Day
Edit each of these columns to add in the relevant time slots for the day (e.g. Period 1, Period 2, Break 1, etc).

Once your columns are ready, go to Manage Timetables and create a new timetable. Edit it, and create the following days, connecting the day to the column shown in brackets:

1. Day 1 (Normal Day)
  2. Day 2 (Normal Day)
  3. Day 3 (Normal Day)
  4. Day 4 (Normal Day)
  5. Day 5 (Long Day)
  6. Day 6 (Short Day)
  7. Day 7 (Normal Day)

Each day will now have the timings defined in the column it is associated with. You can now go into each of the time slot in each day and add the relevant classes (which you should predefine in Manage Courses & Classes).

The final step is to Tie Days To Dates, in which you say on which days your Day 1 falls throughout your year, and then the same for Day 2, etc.

There is a function to import classes, teachers and rooming once your structure is in place. In addition, check out @skuipers Data Admin module at Extend - Gibbon, which I believe does timetable imports too.

Hope this helps!

Ross

As Cam and Vincent indicated, this is one of those concepts I wish I had understood better as we were first setting up the Gibbon system at our school. Thanks, Ross, for a more complete explanation! Perhaps the sample school database Timetable that is an option when first installing could be modified for 3 day lengths like this. I’d like to see that sample database include a Free Learning example and almost all of the additional modules already installed with additional fictitious sample data. Internal and External tests and Markbook examples, a course curriculum with a corresponding class teaching plan, some teacher absence records, sample of substitute teacher availability, attendance graph, and a report or two would also help to convince school administrators that Gibbon is truly powerful, is much more comprehensive than it first appears, and provides helpful data administrators need to manage of the school.

I’m sorry what started out as a big “Thank You” turned into a wish list. Your explanation was helpful.

Hi flygyw12 and GlennS, thanks for the feedback, it is useful to know. Yes, Gibbon’s timetable structure is complex, but this is the cost of allowing really flexible timetables. I fear, if we’d made it simpler, it just would not meet people’s needs.

In terms of the demo data, it could definitely be richer, but it is a time consuming process. If anyone wanted to volunteer to contribute, we’d definitely welcome that : )

Cheers,

Ross