need help complete installation - submit button gives no response

Mr Ross / Ms Sandra,

Sorry for the silly question. I have done a standard installation on an ubuntu laptop. The Maria DB and php and apache appear to respond perfectly with no errors on routine tests. I get to the 1st default installation page, with all green ticks & a confirmed writable directory. But i cannot progress past the submit button. I get no response. I cannot see any errors in the php access.log and error.log
All firewall settings are off - it is a very vanilla set up with php 7.4.
It is like i have some basic environment variable wrong so the install page cannot load the next pages - i have tried moving the directories changing the installation roots slightly etc, gone through the basic config files.
As i am not a web programmer i cannot seem to see what the submit button is trying to reach - ie in the old days you could where it was trying to post to in basic html - but looking at the code i am not experienced enough to make sense of it.
I am going to try a re-install on small hp server later today at a different location. But i was hoping one of you or your learned colleagues could advise - it must be a common issue.

thanks so much
gregoire

thanks to potential answerers, i have got this working now quite adequately on a HP server by carefully installing everything from scratch and updating ubuntu to the latest verson, so i will not worry about the problem with the laptop installation, which was just a testbed - must be some dependency issue. The documentation really does need to improve - but i see the point that we should contribute ourselves and offer to improve it,rather than complaining !
–gregoire

Hi Gregoire, glad to hear you got it working. We’re just headed into the winter break so our response times are bound to be slower than normal. Yep, documentation is something we would love to improve! :sweat_smile:

I wonder if your initial issue may have been PHP 7.4 related. Gibbon v18 was released June 2019, and PHP 7.4 came out later in November 2019, so the two haven’t been tested together. The next version of Gibbon, v19, is being released January 20, 2019, so we’ll aim and test the system out with the new PHP version.

Thanks!

I am running into this exact issue trying to install Gibbon v. 19 on XAMPP (Windows) with PHP 7.4.1. Logs are not indicating anything beyond what happens on startup of the server. Any ideas about where to begin troubleshooting?

Most of us use a LAMP system. Therefore it’s a bit difficult to support XAMPP.

Anyway, PHP 7.4 is not supported yet. You should be good to go with v7.3 tho. :slight_smile:

Hi Daniel,

Roman is right, that 7.4 is not yet officially supported: by the time of the release of v19 none of us had an easy way to test PHP 7.4. If you could try it with PHP 7.3, as Roman suggests, that would tell us if it is 7.4 issue. You could also check your PHP logs and see if the issue is being flagged there. We’d love to know more!

Cheers,

Ross

Thanks to you both. I usually install on Ubuntu Server, so using XAMPP is new to me. I didn’t check the PHP version first. But after running into the snag, I tried to check the PHP log, and XAMPP cannot find the file. Not sure why. I will install an earlier version of XAMPP with PHP 7.3 and see what happens.

Yeah, so installing with PHP 7.3 was the solution.

Excellent, thanks for letting us know! @ross this answers your PHP7.4 concern, and something to look at in due course. Enjoy the weekend : ) Ross.

Thanks, I’ve added this to the v20 planning board under known issues, and we’ll be sure to upgrade and test PHP7.4 for v20.

Mr Ross / Ms Sandra,

Sorry for the silly question. I have done a standard installation on an ubuntu laptop. The Maria DB and php and apache appear to respond perfectly with no errors on routine tests. I get to the 1st default installation page, with all green ticks & a confirmed writable directory. But i cannot progress past the submit button. I get no response. I cannot see any errors in the php access.log and error.log
All firewall settings are off - it is a very vanilla set up with php 7.4.
It is like i have some basic environment variable wrong so the install page cannot load the next pages - i have tried moving the directories changing the installation roots slightly etc, gone through the basic config files.
As i am not a web programmer i cannot seem to see what the submit button is trying to reach - ie in the old days you could where it was trying to post to in basic html - but looking at the code i am not experienced enough to make sense of it.
I am going to try a re-install on small hp server later today at a different location. But i was hoping one of you or your learned colleagues could advise - it must be a common issue.

thanks so much
gregoire

Hola disculpen, yo tengo problemas con el boton de submit al momento de instalar gibbon, por que no me da acceso al siguiente paso de la instalacion y solo se queda sin hacer nada el boton, quisiera saber si alguien me podria ayudar en este aspecto, se los agradeceria mucho y les deseo excelente dia, espero su pronta respuesta.

As mentioned above, Gibbon does not support php v7.4 yet. :slight_smile: