Multiple Terms in one Report

I’ve figured out a way to have multiple terms in one report for a report card. However there is a caveat that I’m hoping can be addressed.

Rather than having multiple reporting cycles, one for each term (Quarter as I call them), I do one main yearly reporting cycle, and have put the reporting criteria for classes in 4 times. After naming each criteria accordingly (Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4), this means that when a teacher is reporting a student’s Quarter grade, that they can enter multiple Quarters at a time. This also means that all 4 quarters will show up on the report card, just like we want! Here’s the caveat: the Access to the reporting cycle has to be set to open all year long. I was hoping to set multiple access dates on the same reporting cycle, so that teachers can only access the reports during the alotted times. Is this possible to do? At present I cannot achieve this.

Ideally what I’d be looking for is for multiple access dates on the same reporting cycle that, once an opening access date is passed, the students are then marked as not complete on the report. This seems like some simple backend programming that could be accomplished, and solve many problems at once!

Hi Qualitymix, this sounds like a creative solution, and may potentially work, but I think it could cause more headache in the long run because the data is all lumped together in the same reporting cycle.

We’ve had a couple requests lately that are similar to yours. The best way to handle these is to use separate reporting cycles, the way the Reports system was designed, and then use an updated Data Source & accompanying Template to render the data on reports. Given that this is a request that has come up a few times, and a common theme among schools, I’m going to see if I can work on adding some multi-cycle data sources and templates to the core that you can use as an example and customize from there.

I’ll work on adding these to v22 in the next week and give a shout when they’re available, I’ll be sure they’re backwards compatible to drop into a v21 install.

Hope this helps!

You’re the bomb.com!

Hi Qualitymix,

I’ve added some new reports templates in the following PR: https://github.com/GibbonEdu/core/pull/1287

If you download the files included in the PR and apply upload them to your system, they should be backwards compatible. To do so, click … and View File, then Raw, and then save the file. Then, go to Template Builder > Manage Assets > Scan Asset Directories. When you go into a template you have created and you should see a new Courses by Cycle option.

The new template and data source will let you display grades from previous cycles side-by-side. Comments are always from the current cycle.

You can edit these templates by placing them in a /sources/ or /templates/ folder inside your Custom Asset Path, which you can find or change in the Report Settings. Then scan your assets again to detect the new files.

You’re the best! Although, I cannot seem to get it to function. I’ve grabbed the php and twig files, and put them in their respective folders. I’ve double checked ownership and permissions, and that I have properly spelled the filenames. I’m running Gibbon 21.0.01.

Any suggestions?

Nevermind. I got it working! THANKS!

Hi Qualitymix,

You can edit these templates by placing them in a /sources/ or /templates/ folder inside your Custom Asset Path, which you can find or change in the Report Settings. Then scan your assets again to detect the new files.

Okay, so I’m wondering how to modify this so that I can take what’s been reported by a teacher (Quarter grades + Semester Exam grade in my case), and create a new column entry that is a calculated semester grade. I’m scanning through the php and the twig file. It seems to me that what I’d like to accomplish could be done in the twig file?

If this IS possible, could you show me an example of how to do a simple calculation based on grades gleaned from the database?

Hi @Qualitymix ,

I think this post might help you getting started in achieving the needed calculations: https://ask.gibbonedu.org/discussion/3137/grade-scale-and-overall-meanscore

Regards
Kelvin.

Hi Snadra,
I tried to use the core Report template in v21, but the template is not Available? am I install report template separably or any configuration required

Hi Snadra , when I tried to use the core Report template in v21, but the template is not Available? am I install report template separably or any configuration required ? even I Click on Manage Assets>Scan Asset Directories, the core template list is not available, is there any help regarding this issue

Hi Endale, it may be file permission related: https://ask.gibbonedu.org/discussion/comment/8476#Comment_8476