Markbook not calculating averages.

Hello all, I’m looking for help, I have a Markbook set up, but is not calculating neither term or cumulative average. I don’t know what I might be doing wrong. Here are pictures.

This is how the markbook looks right now, I want it to calculate the cumulative grade for term 1. But it just doesn’t do nothing.

This is how the weightings look:

And this are my markbook settings:

If any one can help me, I’d be very thankful!

Hi Javier,

In System Admin > System Settings, can you check to see that Percent is set as your default assessment scale? (it’s at the bottom of the page). It’s a current limitation of the cumulative average system, and I likely need to add a note about this to the Markbook settings page.

Also, as a note, if there’s a red X on a markbook column then it’s not counting towards the cumulative average and likely need the Completed date set to mark that column as done.

Everything else looks good in your screenshots :+1:

Hello Sandra, thank you very much for the help!!! I solved thanks to you, one of the grades didn’t have “go live date” as soon as I submitted the red X changed to a green tick and it calculated. But know I’m confused on the operations it does.

I want to understand how the markbook weightings and the individual Attainment Weighting for each column of markbook works, I try setting each column weighting to 1, and set the weighting on markbook and I get differences on the calculations for the Term and cumulative average, I’m very confused, tried recreating the calculations on excel and can figure it out well enough.

Markbook weightings:

Individual Column Weightings:

Markbook:

From what I’m setting up, I think right now Term 1 and Cumulative Average should be the same thing. In this case cumulative is doing each grade by its weighting (which is ok!), but I have no idea what Term is calculating.

What I’m trying to do for my school is have a a grade for each term, and then cumulative average should be: 0.25Term1 + … + 0.25Term4 = Final Grade. I’m trying to figure out how to do it on gibbon. Any help is greatly appreciated, I’ll keep looking around the documentation and forums and see if I can learn more of this great module. Thank you very much.

I figured out why it was calculating the wrong way: “Tareas” actually was part of the Term 4, So It was doing average of “Quizzes” and “Examen Final”. I don’t understand why it was showing up if I’m looking at Term 1 only.

Still I’d be happy to hear your opinion Sandra on what’s the best set up for our school. I was thinking of having only four weightings Term 1, Term 2, Term 3 and Term 4. As cumulative, each one as 25%. And add columns with the weighting of each Term e.g Quizzes 20% of Term 1, Exams 30% of Term1, etc.

Thank you for everything!

Hi Javier,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. The weightings can be a bit tricky with all the various settings, here’s a post that has more info about the column weights vs. the overall weightings: https://ask.gibbonedu.org/discussion/comment/4592/#Comment_4592

The column with Term marks will show only the weighted average for that term, and the Cumulative is a rolling average for the whole course. Are there any other marks in your markbook outside Term 1 that may be adjusting the calculations?