Location of uploads directory

Good day. Where should the uploads directory be created? On the “Installing Gibbon” webpage it says “Create folder /uploads”. Does it mean:

1. under the Gibbon directory (/var/www/html/GibbonEdu/uploads) or
  2. under the root directory (/uploads)

I thought to create it under the root directory (/uploads) because the Gibbon installer already has the uploads subdirectory

Hi Richard,

Ah, it seems that those instructions were out of date. Sorry about that! I’ve now updated the line to read:

Set file permissions for the /uploads folder (created by the installer) to allow writing by web server (avoid chmod 777 for security reasons).

The paths we use are always relative to the Gibbon root, as this is variable depending on server, and so we can’t give absolute paths that work for everyone. In your case, based on what you’ve shown above, our /uploads, translations to your /var/www/html/GibbonEdu/uploads.

Cheers,

Ross

Thank you Ross. May I ask if these are the steps to correct my mistake?

1. Move the directory /uploads/cache and its contents to /var/www/html/GibbonEdu/uploads

2. Move the directory /uploads/reports and its contents to /var/www/html/GibbonEdu/uploads

3. Under System Admin > Cache Manager make these changes:
    Cache Path: /uploads/cache

4. Under Assess > Reports > Report Settings
    Custom Asset Path: /uploads/reports

5. Under Assess > Reports > Manage Archives
    Path: /uploads/reports

Hi Richard, these steps look correct, and very thorough too. Let us know if they work for you, and hopefully they’ll help others in the future too. Cheers, Ross.

This is what worked for me :slight_smile:

1. Under System Admin > Cache Manager make this change:
    Cache Path: /uploads/cache

2. Under Assess > Reports > Report Settings make this change:
    Custom Asset Path: /uploads/reports

3. Under Assess > Reports > Manage Archives make this change:
    Path: /uploads/reports

4. Log off from Gibbon. But I haven’t tried if it will still work if did not log off from Gibbon

5. Move the directory /uploads/reports and its contents to be under /var/www/html/GibbonEdu/uploads