Install Gibbon in Google Cloud Platform / Instalar Gibbon en Google Cloud Platform

ENGLISH

Hello everyone:

This is my first publication and I wanted to make my small contribution to the development of the project. I’ve been looking for information on the Internet about how to install Gibbon in a virtual directory hosted in the cloud with Google Cloud Platform. There is very little information on how to do it.

After many hours of testing, I got it to work properly, and I wanted to share the information with everyone.

The first thing to do is create an account and log in to Google Cloud Platform (https://cloud.google.com).

Once logged in, go to “console” and then click on “create project”. After giving it a name and configuring the means of payment, we can now launch our virtual server in the cloud with Google Cloud.

INSTALL GIBBON in Google Cloud Platform

1.- In “Google Cloud Platform”, go to “Compute Engine”
2.- Go to “Instances of VM”
3.- Click on “Create instance”
4.- Name the instance in the first box
5.- In type of machine, select “Micro” (it is the cheapest one, if we need more, we can change it later)
6.- In “boot disk”, click on “change” and select “Ubuntu 14.04 LTS”
7.- In “Firewall” check “Allow HTTP traffic”
8.- Click on “Create”
9.- In the triangle on the right, next to SSH, select “Open a window in the browser”
10.- A window with a terminal will open and NUESTRO_NOMBRE @ INSTANCIA will appear: ~ $
11.- We write (without the symbol $ or #):

NOTE 1: If you ask us yes or no, you must always choose “Y”

$ sudo apt-get -y update

$ sudo apt-get -y install apache2 mysql-server php5 php5-mysql
NOTE 2: We will be asked for the password for the database twice. You have to write it down, that later we will need it to configure Gibbon

$ cd /var/www/html/

$ sudo su

wget https://github.com/GibbonEdu/core/archive/v14.0.01.zip

sudo apt-get install unzip

chmod -Rv 755 v14.0.01.zip

unzip v14.0.01.zip

chmod -Rv 755 core-14.0.01

chown -R www-data core-14.0.01

sudo apt-get install php5-curl

sudo apt-get install php5-gd

sudo apt-get install libgd2-xpm-dev

rm index.html

rm v14.0.01.zip

sudo locale-gen es_ES

NOTE 3: es_ES is for Spanish. If you want to install another language, write the corresponding UTF-8 code

# sudo service apache2 restart

exit

$ exit

Open the browser and go to MY_EXTERNAL_DIRECTION_IP / core-14.0.01
You can see the IP_EXTERNA in the “VM Instances”, in Google Cloud Plarform

And that’s it. I hope that helps. Regards

===========================================================

ESPAÑOL

Hola a todos:

Esta es mi primera publicación y quería hacer mi pequeña aportación al desarrollo del proyecto. He estado buscando información por Internet sobre cómo instalar Gibbon en un directorio virtual alojado en la nube con Google Cloud Platform. Hay muy poca información sobre cómo hacerlo.

Después de muchas horas de prueba, he consegudo que funcione correctamente, y quería compartir la información con todos.
Lo primero que hay que hacer es crearnos una cuenta y iniciar la sesión en Google Cloud Platform ( https://cloud.google.com ).
Una vez loggeado, vamos a “consola” y después hacemos click en “crear proyecto”. Despues de ponerle nombre y configurar los medios de pago, ya podremos poner en marcha nuestro servidor virtual en la nube con Google Cloud.

Una vez dentro, seguimos los siguientes pasos:

1.- En “Google Cloud Platform”, ir a “Compute Engine”
2.- Ir a “Instancias de VM”
3.- Hacer click en “Crear instancia”
4.- Poner un nombre a la instancia en la primera casilla
5.- En tipo de máquina, seleccionar “Micro” (es la más barata. Si necesitamos más, podemos cambiarla posteriormente)
6.- En “disco de arranque”, hacer click en “cambiar” y seleccionar “Ubuntu 14.04 LTS”
7.- En “Cortafuegos” marcar “Permitir el tráfico HTTP”
8.- Hacer click en “Crear”
9.- En el triángulo de la derecha, junto a SSH, seleccionar “Abrir una ventana en el navegador”
10.- Se abrirá una ventana con un terminal y aparecerá NUESTRO_NOMBRE@INSTANCIA:~$
11.- Escribimos (sin el símbolo $ ni #):
NOTA 1: Si nos preguntan si o no, hay que hacer elegir siempre “Y”

$ sudo apt-get -y update

$ sudo apt-get -y install apache2 mysql-server php5 php5-mysql
NOTA 2: Nos preguntarán la contraseña para la base de datos dos veces. Hay que anotarla, que después la necesitaremos para configurar Gibbon

$ cd /var/www/html/
$ sudo su

wget https://github.com/GibbonEdu/core/archive/v14.0.01.zip

sudo apt-get install unzip

chmod -Rv 755 v14.0.01.zip

unzip v14.0.01.zip

chmod -Rv 755 core-14.0.01

chown -R www-data core-14.0.01

sudo apt-get install php5-curl

sudo apt-get install php5-gd

sudo apt-get install libgd2-xpm-dev

rm index.html

rm v14.0.01.zip

sudo locale-gen es_ES

NOTA 3: es_ES es para español. Si quieres instalar otro idioma, escribe el código UTF-8 correspondiente

# sudo service apache2 restart

exit

$ exit

Abrir el navegador e ir a MI_DIRECCION_IP/core-14.0.01
La IP_EXTERNA la puedes ver en las “Instancias de VM”, en Google Cloud Plarform

Y eso es todo. Espero que sirva de ayuda. Saludos

Wow, these instructions look great, thanks for sharing (and translating!) Welcome to the Gibbon community :smiley:

is google cloud free?

is google cloud free?

No, but if you don’t have a server it’s a cheap option. Depend you need.

Tried it does not work

Can you be a little more specific? What exactly did’t work? Did you get error messages? Can you share a screenshot?

Sorry for the late reply. Followed all steps and made all changes in php.ini too but was getting an error connection refused. well Gave up finally and did a reinstall using aapanel but now i am getting and error

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: files (path: ) in /www/wwwroot/domainname/src/Gibbon/Session.php on line 66

This is lie 66 session_start($options);

Warning: session_start(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp) is not within the allowed path(s): (/www/wwwroot/myschoolwork.cf) in /www/wwwroot/sitename/src/Gibbon/Session.php on line 66

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: files (path: ) in /www/wwwroot/sitename/src/Gibbon/Session.php on line 66

Ok got that sorted out. added temp folder. Now whe i go to step 3 during installation i get error
Your request failed because you do not have access to this action.

Hi Paschal,

The installer tries to prevent any of the steps from being repeated, so it may display this message if you refreshed one of the steps, or the step was interrupted and you tried to re-start it later. If you try a fresh install from Step 1, hopefully that should help. However, if for some reason the session is still not saving, this could certainly cause problems in your install. Give a shout if you’re still stuck on Step 3 after a fresh install. Be sure to keep an eye on the green checkmarks in Step 1, and possibly check the php_info() for your serer to see if sessions are working.