Importing problems

Hi, when I try importing families, children and parents only families are imported successfully. Children and parents both turn red and say problem importing students and families. Thank you

Zach,

Welcome to Gibbon : ) We’ll need more information, such as sample files and detailed steps for recreating the problem, in order to really help you. My first thought is that the unique family key might be the issue here: this needs to exist in all three files, and is used to match the users to the family.

Ross

Would this be the right format to enter it on? I then have the same id number matching families, students and parents.

Zach Sauder

1000 Chhun Khmer
1001 Nai English
1002 Kong English
1003 Sakal Khmer

Here’s what’s happening.

Zach,

Looks like a good start, but you want to enclose strings in quotation marks, and delimit with commas. Also, empty columns should still be present, so something like this would be more likely to work:

“1000”,“Chhun”,“Khmer”,“”,“”,“”,“”,“”
“1001”,“Nai”,“English”,“”,“”,“”,“”,“”
“1002”,“Kong”,“English”,“”,“”,“”,“”,“”
“1003”,“Sakal”,“Khmer”,“”,“”,“”,“”,“”

Although dealing more with importing users, this guide gives some good basic principles for preparing imports for Gibbon.

Ross

So I tired that and Parents still don’t work. Let me know what you think.

Please can you send me, in CSV format, the three import files to support@gibbonedu.org and I will take a look and see what I can find. Ross.

Did you get my email Ross?

Zach, I did, and apologies for the slow reply (which you should get any moment). We are just on school holiday, and after rushing to the end of the half term, I went camping for 4 nights. Usually we try and reply within 24 hours, although this is not always possible. Ross.

No Problem. Just wanted to make sure my emails had went through. Thank you!

Hi Ross, that still isn’t working. I even tried downloading Libre office and that didn’t work either. Any other ideas? Thank you

Did you follow the advice in the email about needed to add in the usernames to the child and parent import files? The users must already exist when you import the files? If you’ve done this, email back the files so we can take a look, along with a dump of your gibbonPerson table from your database. Ross.

I almost have it! It’s just something is wrong with the parents now.

Zach, when you make a CSV file, the commas and quotation marks should not be visible in Excel, but they should be visible when you view the file in a text editor. If you follow the previously shared instructions on our site, you should be able to use LibreOffice to get the import file just right.

Zach, when you make a CSV file, the commas and quotation marks should not be visible in Excel, but they should be visible when you view the file in a text editor. If you follow the previously shared instructions on our site, you should be able to use LibreOffice to get the import file just right.