How to Rollover the whole school, People, Courses and Classes, with zero changes?

Hi,
I’m about to make my first rollover. I’m in v24.
I need to move everything as of today, to next year.
That is, same students with no change in status, in the same courses they currently are enrolled in, and all the courses and classes with the same enrollment, same teachers and students for each Class (the whole timetable without changes).

What is the best or recommended way to do this?
A brief step by step instruction will be much appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!

Hello @rfernandez2007,

When preparing to perform a rollover, remember the following are persistent from year to year:

• Year Groups
  • Timetable columns and rows

The following have to copied to upcoming year:

• Form Groups
  • Courses and Classes
    (Depending on how you’re set up you can use Sync Course Enrollment to place students back in the copied classes)

The following have to be recreated in the new year:

• Timetables
  • Timetable days

You will be able to preview the rollover results prior to finally proceeding.

Some suggestions:

1. Take a full site backup prior to rollover. You are really, very strongly advised to backup all data before you proceed.
  2. You can create a copy of your school site and perform the rollover on the copy to see how it goes first.

Also refer to Gibbon Docs - Rollover.
https://docs.gibbonedu.org/administrators/timetable/rollover/

HTH

Tieku

Hello @tiekubd,
Thank you very much for your answer! I’ll keep very present your recommendation to backup before trying the process.

Let me see if I have understood well: (please correct me where you find I’m wrong)

1. Year groups are not tied to a particular year, so you can keep the same Year Group throughout different years, and rolled students will keep this information attached to their profiles.

• Timetable columns and rows are the days of the week and the hours of each day in which there are slots for classes, and they don’t need to change from one year to another
  2. From Groups are tied to each year, and they must be copied to the next year.
    That can be done with the “Copy all to next year” option in the page Home/School Admin/Manage From Groups.
    A doubt here: when you copy the Form Group, you are copying the Form Group definition only? or also all the students assigned to that Form Group?

3. Courses and Classes. If I want to copy all the Classes and keep all the students and teachers of the Classes, I can do that with the “Course Enrollment Rollover” option. That will leave me with the same students and teachers in each class but for the next year. Is that correct?

4. For the Timetable I have to first select the new year, then create a new blank Timetable while being in the new year, and then create each day of the week for that Timetable, and assign a column for each day?

And that’s it. After that all the students and classes with the corresponding enrollments will be migrated to the next year? or there is any additional process to roll the students themselves to the next year?

Is there any particular order in which to follow all these steps?

Thank you very much!!
Warm regards

• Yes Year groups are not tied to a particular school year. During the rollover students can be placed in the year group following the current year group (which is determined by the year group ordering at Home > School Admin > Manage Year Groups)

• Timetable columns and rows are the days of the week and the hours of each day in which there are slots for classes, and they don’t need to change from one year to another - Generally correct. I wouldn’t call columns and rows the days of the week but rather the timetable structure for a given school day, assigned to a day of the week, that can stay the same year to year.

• Form Groups are tied to each year, and they must be copied to the next year.
    That can be done with the “Copy all to next year” option in the page Home/School Admin/Manage From Groups.­ –
    Yes. Copying the Form Groups makes it very easy when there are no changes for the upcoming year.

A doubt here: when you copy the Form Group, you are copying the Form Group definition only? or also all the students assigned to that Form Group? – The definition only.

• Courses and Classes . If I want to copy all the Classes and keep all the students and teachers of the Classes, I can do that with the “Course Enrollment Rollover” option. That will leave me with the same students and teachers in each class but for the next year. Is that correct? – Yes that is correct, and a better option than the Sync Course Enrolment that I suggested.
  • For the Timetable I have to first select the new year, then create a new blank Timetable while being in the new year, and then create each day of the week for that Timetable, and assign a column for each day? – Yes correct.

And that’s it. After that all the students and classes with the corresponding enrollments will be migrated to the next year? or there is any additional process to roll the students themselves to the next year? – Yes. Try all these steps on a copy of your site first and you should be good to go.

I hope that helps

Tieku

Hi Tieku,
Thanks again for your fast answer!!
I’ll try this and let you know how it went.
All the best!!

Hi Tieku,
I hope you are doing great!!
I’m now in the middle of the rollover process.

I have rolled the students using Admin/Users/Rollover and apparently that worked fine.
Now I’m trying to rollover the classes with the enrolled students and teacher and none of the options work.
When trying to use the Course Enrollment Rollover it shows:

There are no classes to map to as the classes are the same for next year, so I leave that blank and click on Proceed and nothing happens (it tells me that my request has been completed succesfully but it seems to have done nothing)

So, no courses/classes or students and teacher enrolled into them.

I’ve also tried the sync course enrollment. It presents the following screen:

Then after clicking submit:

And the only FormGroup I can map to is the one from the exiting year (2023)

I’m stuck here, and can’t see a clear path to proceed, because I don’t understand what the system is trying to achieve.
I think that I probably did something wrong, or I’m missing a basic concept here.

In summary at this point I’m unable to rollover the courses/classes/enrollment, so I have 2024 with the students but no classes or students enrolled in classes.

I would really appreciate any help to complete the process!!

Thank you very much!!
Warm regards
Ricardo

Ok. I copied all the classes to 2024 and they appeared in the list boxes for mapping.
I spent more than 3 hours mapping the classes one by one, more than 300 classes (my eyes got dry and I got a heavy headache) and when I clicked Proceed it told me “your session has expired” and just like that, puff … nothing … all that work lost forever.
No way I will repeat this process.
Please, please tell me there is another way to do this mapping!!!

Thank you!!!
And a great 2024 for you and anyone else that happen to read to this post!!! :hugs:

There are different use cases for the option you choose to roll over courses/classes/subjects.

300 is a large number of classes and I certainly wouldn’t want to manually do 300 mappings.

For which reason I would use Sync Course Enrollment in the new year. This works well when students in the same Form Group/Home Room take the same (or majority of) classes/subjects. You could complete the roll over in a few short minutes. What you have to pay attention to is how you name your Form Groups and Classes so Gibbon can perform a match using the Compare To Pattern.

Thanks

Tieku

Hi Tieku,
Thank you very much!!! for your answer. And I whish you a happy new year!!!

When on the Sync Course Enrollment:

If I use the sync all I get this error: Your request failed because your inputs were invalid. (although I didn’t provide any input there)

If I go to create mappings I get this screen.

My classes for next year are the same and the enrollment on these classes is the same. Also the year group is the same…
Once I click submit I get the following screen that is the one that asks for one by one mapping.

How would you proceed given this scenario? I guess that the right option should be the Sync All, but it fails. And as I’m not entering any value there, I can’t tell why.

Thank you !!!

I believe the problem is here:

My YearGroup remains the same “NivelGeneral”
My FormGroup changes from GrupoGeneral2023 to GrupoGeneral2024

When using yeargroupshortname and classShortname it should match, but as you can see in the screenshot it says No match found.

For a given student give me the

1. Form group name, short name.
  2. Year group name, short name
  3. Class name, short name

These are the names for the current year 2023.

Form Group - Name: GrupoGeneral2023 Shortname: GrpG2023
Year Group - Name: NivelGeneral Shortname: NivG
Class: Name: Canto 20:00hs Viernes Shortname: C20V

These are the names for the next year 2024.

Form Group - Name: GrupoGeneral2024 Shortname: GrpG2024
Year Group - Name: NivelGeneral Shortname: NivG
Class: Name: Canto 20:00hs Viernes Shortname: C20V

The only thing that changes is the Form Group name. (on the basis that it is ok to change the Form Group name from one year to the next)

Thank you!!!

I might have to ask you some more questions about how your school is set up, to understand your structure better. If you prefer to send me an email: info@highpointedu.com

1 Like

Hi!
Sure I’ll send you an email.
Thank you!!

Hi Tieku,
I wanted to thank you very much for all the help your provided me.
Your vision on the details on how the system works and how to use the tools provided by it, was essential to understand the problem and device a proper solution.
Otherwise it would have probably taken me days if not weeks to solve.
All the best!!!