Data Admin/File Import Family Relationship

Respected Sandra,

I imported students and parents separately through data admin. Now I want to link them by their relationship. In data admin it requires family sinc key. When I looked into database it is null. Please guide me how I can create families and link students and parents in bulk.

Best Regards,
Ghulam Abbas

LO QUE YO HICE FUE CARGAR EN USUARIOS TANTO A LOS HIJOS COMO LOS TUTORES
LUEGO CREE UN ARCHIVO DE FAMILIAS UNI PRIMER APELLIDO Y SEGUNDO APELLIDO DE LA NIÑAS COMO NOMBRE DE FAMILIA Y CREE UN CODIGO PARA LA FAMILIA

Dear beafranco_co,

I could not get it please explain it.

Regards,

Hi Ghulam,

The family sync is a separate value, unique to that family, that helps tell Gibbon which users to link together. This can be any unique value you create, or in the case of importing from another SIS system this could be the family ID used in that database. Looks like Beatriz is suggesting using the surnames of the student as a way to create a unique code for that family. Another way to do this, if your system has unique student IDs, is to use the student ID of the eldest child in that family as the family sync key.

Hope this helps!

Dear Sandra,
I am sorry for duplicate post . As per my understanding can Is this pre-requesite to first create families and then link or I can directly create families through manage relationships?

Best Regards,
Ghulam Abbas

Lo hice por separado, lo que si hice fue crear un usuario para los tutores o padres, y luego cree grupos familiares aparte con los datos que solicitan en la importacion de familias

Hi Ghulam,

The order looks something like:

• Import Users
  • Import Family (with a unique Family Sync Key)
  • Import Family - Adults
  • Import Family - Children
  • Import Family - Relationships

This is possibly one of the more complex parts of Gibbon to get initially imported (next to timetables). Not all the fields are required though, so for a minimum you just need:

• Adults: sync key + parent username + contact priority
  • Children: sync key + student username
  • Relationships: sync key + parent username + child username

Hope this helps!

Dear Sandra

Your post clarifies very much. This should be part of Setting Up Gibbon Guide.

Another question is, Can the Adult Username be same as Family Sync key?

Because Adult Username is unique.

Also we are considering using Pakistan ID as Adult Username. And same as Family sync key. This way if another student of the family joins we can see the adult and family already exists in the system.

Dear Afaq,
Welcome to Gibbon Community. I am also from Pakistan.That will be great if it happens . I think Sandra can answer it . I am also working on Urdu translation of Gibbon which is 70 % completed . So we both can help each other . could you share your email id.

Intro and Contact sent.

Dear Afaq,

I just tested the scenario that you are in and I am pleased that it worked.

You can do it on your end as Make CNIC of Parent as Parent Username and Family Sync Key.

Best Regards,

Thanks

Hi Ghulam, what is CNIC?

Dear Afaq,
               I just tested the scenario that you are in and I am pleased that it worked.

You can do it on your end as Make CNIC of Parent as Parent Username and Family Sync Key.

Best Regards,

Hello @flygye12 ,
CNIC stands for Computerized National Identity Card which is issued by Government to its Citizens.
Its same as Green Card or other Official Identity Cards.

Hope this answer the query.

Thanks @ghulamabbas92 ! Isn’t that going to be too long?
I have to import all parents as users first and then import family IDs for these usernames? What are you using as Family ID? Last names and First names are too common. I saw the dummy data uses numerals 1, 2, 3, etc

The value of family sync can be up to 50 characters. If you’re importing from another system then you can often use the database ID of the family from that system. Otherwise, if you’re creating an ID from raw spreadsheet data, you can often use spreadsheet formulas to help create a value with a high probability of uniqueness based on the data you have: perhaps the family name + oldest childs birthdate, student ID of oldest child, the email of the contact priority 1 parent, etc. Hope this helps!

Thanks @ross ! I am going with Father/Mother’s first name + Oldest child’s first name

In your (and everyone else on this thread) experience, what’s the least painful way of sending out username and ID’s to so many people :# Can it be automated through the website ? (Were the schools open, we would’ve given them out physically :cry: )