Best practices when handling the server on aws EC2

So, I’m handling my gibbon application on an EC2 machine on aws and I would like to know what are some best practices on how should I approach it.

Basically, I have two applications in a single EC2, one is gibbon and the other is mySQL. Gibbon is being served by Nginx.

I’m backing up every 15 days.

I’m not sure what to do about updating gibbon, or how to update it. Is there a correct approach for updating Gibbon everytime a new version comes up?

Hello @pedrohba18,

The steps for updating Gibbon on an AWS EC2 instance should be the same:

https://docs.gibbonedu.org/administrators/getting-started/updating-gibbon/

HTH

Tieku

Hi @pedrohba18 My school has been using AWS with Gibbon for a couple years now and it works quite well. As Tieku mentions, there process for updating will be the same as a regular server.

Here are some additional thoughts based on our experience:

• Be sure to use Security Groups and setup your SSH access to a specific IP address/set of IP addresses, for additional security.
  • The Lifecycle manager makes it relatively easy to take snapshots at regular intervals. You can also create a snapshot ad-hoc, anytime you plan to make changes such as updated or large imports.
  • Temporarily scaling up the size of your instance can be handy for times when you know you’ll have extra load, such as beginning of the year or activity signups.

Hope this info is useful :slight_smile:

1 Like