Additional dropdowns with attendace.

Hi, been using and figuring out Gibbon now for about a year. Could anyone point me in the right direction for the problem I am having, please?
So my school wants to track class behaviour and effort the same way attendance is taken. So at the start of the lesson, the teacher would mark “Present”, “Late” etc… How can I add 2 dropdowns below this that have the options for giving them Behaviour and Effort scores of “O”, “S”, “U” and “U*”.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Celliers

Hi ZACelliers, this isn’t necessarily how the attendance is intended to be used, so there isn’t a straightforward way of adding new dropdown boxes. There could, however, be a bit of a workaround with the available Reasons. These reasons are customizable in the School Admin > Attendance Settings. Generally, reasons are only used for non-present attendance statuses. You could theoretically also add some behaviour/effort related reasons which teachers use along with the Present status. The comment box could also be used: it’s not a dropdown, but teachers could be asked to enter a single letter, as you’ve suggested. This could work. Gibbon is flexible, and can often be used beyond it’s intended functionality with a little creativity and some workarounds.

Thanks for the suggestion Sandra, really appreciate it. Will look into changing the Reasons part with the various combinations.
I would see the “behaviour/effort” data under the attendance if I am not mistaken.
And to the point you made about Gibbon’s initial intentions, I agree with you guys; my VP is just looking for additional data. And I have told/shown them that there is a behaviour section, but they said it would take too long to log it. I even created Markbook entries, which will make finding grades in the markbook a nightmare.

Again, thanks. Will play around with your workaround.

Yes, the reason should show up in most places. If you need to extract it into certain formats, then using Query Builder and a custom query could be helpful here.

Yes, the reason should show up in most places. If you need to extract it into certain formats, then using Query Builder and a custom query could be helpful here.

Yeah… still have to figure out how to create custom queries properly… But thanks