CBSE School in India

Hi Ross,

I am new to Gibbon, I have installed it and experimenting it for future use. May I know from your experience, How feasible it is to adopt Gibbon for CBSE schools in India?

Thanks.

Hi @matheen,

Does CBSE stand for Central Board of Secondary Education?

I do not know about CBSE but I can say that with Gibbon’s flexibility, it is very suitable and adaptable for many secondary school systems.

Are there specific questions you have?

Thanks,

Tieku

Thanks for your reply, @tiekubd,

Yes, you are right, it is Central Board of Secondary Education. K-12 Curriculum.

Is it possible to divide the students into classes and each classes having sections?
Continuous and Comprehensive Assessment (CCA) is adopted by CBSE, apart from Formative and summative assessments. Cumulative mark with weightage is taken for final grade percentage. is these features already adoptable in Gibbon?

Thanks.

Hi @matheen,

Is it possible to divide the students into classes and each classes having sections?

Yes Gibbon calls what you are calling classes, courses and sections are called classes. It is possible to rename any of these to suit your purposes.

And yes, Gibbon supports cumulative marks with weightings.

Tieku

Thanks, Tieku, for time being.

I am exploring the features of Gibbon further.

Thanks Again.

Matheen

Hi

A novice question, What is ‘Form Group’ functionality? How it is related to Class and sections of a class in a school? Where do I create classes?

Thanks,

Hi @matheen,

A Form Groups represents a group of students who take a set of courses.
You can create Form Groups via the option Admin > School Admin > Manage Form Groups.

You can create courses and classes via the option Admin > Timetable Admin > Manage Courses & Classes. You must create a course and you will be able to create classes (groups) in the course.

You can then use the options Admin > Timetable Admin > Cours Enrolment by Class or Cours Enrolment by Person to associate students with classes (groups).

Sylvain
Gibbon : v26.0.00, PHP v8.2.10, MySQL v8.0.36, Ubuntu 23.10.1

Thanks, Sylvain.

Then, What is the difference between creating Form Group (Who take a set of courses) and creating classes(groups) in the Course?

Thanks

Matheen

Hi @matheen ,

I am currently evaluating Gibbon and here is my understanding of Form Groups.

Form Groups are a group of students under the responsibility of a tutor.

Here is a personal example:
I have a daughter who is studying in grade 10 this year.
She is associated with Form Group (Homeroom) 305 with a lady as tutor.
The majority of his classes are with the same students.
These courses have group 305 (the Group is identical to the Form Group).
For courses where there are levels (e.g. English), students in Form Group 305 are paired with students in Form Group 306 according to their ranking.
For courses where there are options, students in Form Group 305 are paired with students in other Form Groups according to their option choices.

Here is a reference on the use of Homeroom depending on the country.

Sylvain
Gibbon : v26.0.00 ca-fr, PHP v8.2.10, MySQL v8.0.36, Ubuntu 23.10.1

Thanks, Sylvain.

I am also evaluating the system. And, My primary purpose of Evaluation is to understand the system in Indian School Terminologies.

It seems,

Year Group - Class / Standard (In India)
Form Group - Different Sections of the Same class.

Thanks again.

Hi @matheen

I use the Year Group table to identify student levels (secondary 1, secondary 2, secondary 3, etc.)

I don’t know if this helps you, but I use the Admin > System Admin > String Replacement option to change the Gibbon labels for labels that I usually use.

Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

It seems, I am right in interpreting Student levels or Grades as Year Groups, right?

Yes, String Replacement is a nice option but I am still catching up with the terminologies to replace in my system.

Matheen

Hi @matheen ,

I have the same interpretation as you (Year Groups = Student Levels).

Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Do you have any idea how do we maintain student marks in the system, steps?

Matheen

Hi @matheen

Here is a typical (and simple) configuration I see:

(To begin, in order for a student to be enrolled, he/she must be added to a Year Group AND a Form Group).

Let’s call the year group Year 1 (Y1) (or could be Grade1, Level 1, Basic 1 etc depending on the school system).

The school breaks the Year 1 students into 2 groups, each under at least one tutor (also called class room teachers).
We’ll call these 2 groups Y1.A and Y1.B (called Form Groups, Home Rooms, Classrooms etc).

Now let’s cover the subjects that are taught in the schools. We’ll call the individual subjects Courses. Each course has to have at least one Class (Section).

So a course in Year 1 can be Y1English (taught by one or more subject teachers). The classes will be A and B. The full class name will be Y1English.A, Y1English.B (or Y1English.1, Y1English.2) etc.

Student John Jones is in Year 1. He’s in Form Group Y1.A and takes the subjects
Y1English.A
Y1History.A
Y1Music.A
Y1Mathematics.A
Y1Science.A etc

Note:

• Members of a Form Group can be from diffrent Year Groups.
  • ⁠Course participants can come from different Year Groups as well.

Let me know if this helps.

Tieku

Here is a good post from Sandra to help answer your question about recording grades:

structuring of groups and classes - Is it possible to divide a "form group"? - #5 by sandra?

Thanks, Tieku.

This helps to understand student divisions.

Thanks again.