Problem with Installation

Good Day

I'm trying to install Gibbon and having followed the instructions at https://docs.gibbonedu.org/administrators/getting-started/installing-gibbon/install-ubuntu-debian/, I try to access the web interface and I get an error.

It seems as if there's a rewrite of the URL that has placed an additional /installer/ in the URL.

My environment is as follows:
Ubuntu Server 18.04.4 LTS
Gibbon v19.0.00
Nginx
MySQL
Php 7.2

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi DaFresh,

Are you able to try visiting 192.168.0.15 directly, and be sure to not include the /installer in the url, this is added automatically by the installer re-direct. There aren't any rewrite rules in the install process, so in theory the /installer/install.php should only be redirected once when accessing the root directory.
  • Hello Sandra

Yes, just the raw IP, 192.168.0.15 and then it gives me the URL rewrite with the double installer in the path.

I tried to fiddle around and realized that the gibbon.php file has a rewrite in there.

// Handle Gibbon installation redirect
    if (!$gibbon->isInstalled() && !$gibbon->isInstalling()) {
    header("Location: ./installer/install.php");
    exit;
    }

I tried fooling around with that header string but no dice.

Location: /installer/install.php - Gives the error "The page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

Location: installer/install.php - Gives the same double installer in the URL path and the 404 error.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe the problem is in the server block in the nginx configuration file

server {
    listen 80;
    server_name _;
    root /var/www/gibbon;
    index index.php;

access_log /var/log/nginx/gibbon-access.log;
    error_log /var/log/nginx/gibbon-error.log;

client_max_body_size 100M;

autoindex off;

location / {
    try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php;
    }

location ~ \.php$ {
    include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;
    fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.2-fpm.sock;
    fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
    include fastcgi_params;
    }
    }

As I don't know much about php or programming, i'm just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing if anything sticks :)
  • Sandra

By the grace of God i've found the problem and thus the solution.

In my nginx server block under location ~\.php$, was the line "include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf" and it was this file that was causing nginx to not properly redirect as intended.

More specifically, two lines in that file caused the problem:
    set $path_info $fastcgi_path_info;
    fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $path_info;

By commenting out those two lines, then the page loaded without issue.

Because that snippet has always been there and all other sites work okay, I didn't want to comment out those lines in that file and possibly break another site, so I just took all the other entries from the fastcgi-conf file and placed them in the location block and left the file as is. So the location block now looks like this:

location ~ \.php$ {
    fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
    try_files $fastcgi_script_name =404;
    fastcgi_index index.php;
    include fastcgi.conf;
    fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.2-fpm.sock;
    fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
    include fastcgi_params;
    }

Thanks for the assist regardless, now lemme finally put Gibbon through the paces.
    admin